December 2022 Two-Week News and Social Media Fast
Someone in a Discord server I'm on forced me to look in a metaphorical mirror and made me realize how news and social media have negatively impacted my objectivity and mental health in recent weeks.
It was an uncomfortable moment, but a welcome one. I have gotten way too worked up over Elon Musk and his Twitter antics because that situation is at the intersection of a lot of issues I'm passionate about like #tech, #SocialMedia, #politics, #FOSS, #privacy, and others.
When I get too worked up over issues like this, my emotions get the best of me and I don't think clearly. I'm not as articulate or persuasive in my arguments. I get upset, argumentative, contentious. I feel anxious, agitated, frustrated. I lose control. And I don't feel good about myself or others when I'm like this.
Over the years, I've made some changes to keep from slipping into this state of mind and continue to participate on social media in productive ways, but it still happens and I don't like it.
It's time for another news and social media fast. So here are the changes I'm making starting today and continuing through the end of the year:
- Log out of Discord, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Mastodon on all devices (these are the only social media platforms I use)
- Refrain from checking news sources. I will block specific news websites on my devices if force of habit gets the better of me.
- Strengthen real-world relationships
- Pray and meditate more
- Read more
- Write (blog) more
- Enjoy holiday festivities
- Focus on being present and living in the moment
When the status quo isn't working, it's time to change things up. So here goes!
#100DaysToOffload (No. 84)