My Old Laptop is Great
I've written several posts about how I acquired and got my current laptop working – a Dell Latitude E7470. It's several years old, but it's been running like a champ and has come into my possession at the perfect time, given my current hobby project.
I started a Mastodon instance this past weekend (ZCMI.social) and I've been on it pretty much non-stop since then when I'm not working.
The past several days I've used my laptop for such tasks as:
- Register and configure the domain
- Set up and configure the admin email for the server
- Set up and configure Mastodon
- Start a Patreon
- Use GIMP to design a logo
- Use a shared Google Doc to collaborate with others on developing community standards
- Set up a companion website where the community standards and other info will be available
- Use Discord to collaborate with others on the project and mentor a few who are interested in joining the server in a “closed beta”
- Research all the questions I related to being a Mastodon admin
- Play some Minecraft to take a break
Sure, I could have used my desktop, but then I'd have been stuck at the desk I sit at all day for work. It's been nice to sit at the dining room table or in the living room or on the futon in my home office while I'm doing all this Mastodon stuff.
Also, Pop!_OS has been a dream to use. It looks and runs great on this hardware and I'm very pleased with it.
Now with all the typing and writing I'm doing, I wish I had a phone with a physical keyboard...